Saturday, October 26, 2019

Creativity

I spend a lot of time using the analytical side of my brain. Reconciling medication lists. Keeping track of orders. Looking up algorithms and applying them to my patients. Keeping task lists and grocery lists. Staying up on my email.

I sneak opportunities to apply my creative side at work -- leading team-building activities, designing recruitment materials, developing interactive community outreach booths. But it is in my free time that I get to really let it out, and this is an amazing place to create and appreciate art.

I recently picked up oil painting, in addition to pastel painting. It has been challenging but fun to add this new medium.

my first oil painting
photo reference -- my housing complex in the winter time
This was my second oil painting, and actually one of my favorites, mostly because the subject matter was so beautiful. Like many of my favorite photos and paintings, it was taken from my backyard...


photo reference - rain clouds over first mesa from my backyard

my second oil painting
my oil painting setup

yes this is a real photo and I have no idea what made the blue searchlights appear in the sky, but they were amazing
and so fun to paint a reverse sunset with searchlights over a cornfield
I have my mother to thank for getting me back into art 3 years ago and for sharing an amazing art retreat with me each summer at The Clearing!



No comments: